Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Sightings around Paris

I decided to record some of the sights I see as I wander about Paris. First, a few of the many statues in Paris.  These are from the 6th arrondissement where I live.  The Jardin du Luxembourg itself is alive with statues, but those won't be in this entry.  The seated lady surprised me as I walked by it the first time--I thought it was a person!
In front of the Hungarian consulate on Rue Napoleon

A Zadkine work off Rue de Seine

A statue of Voltaire in a garden near Rue de Seine
There are many more statues, but I am always surprised at the Rodin works that are scattered about Paris:

The Kiss outside the Musee De L'Orangerie

Balzac at the corner of Port Royal
 Thomas Jefferson rates a statue right on the Seine near the Musee D'Orsay (few Americans rate one anywhere in Paris--Washington and Franklin are the other exceptions).


One of the distressing things about Paris is the number of beggars.  I found this one amusing, but many beggars have their pets, both dogs and cats, as they "work" the streets.
Begging with pet
The French are known for being more tolerant of the human form unclothed than we are in the US.  Here's a really good example of this.  Imagine seeing this site on the side of a building in the US!

The clock below belongs in a blog about the history of Paris, as it is set in the Conciergerie, a medieval, huge castle in the heart of the Île d'Cité at the edge of the Seine, and the place from which Marie Antoinette went to her death.  The clock is the oldest in the city and keeps correct time.

Oldest clock in Paris
Here's a view of the Seine as one looks out to the Louvre, taken from the Musee D'Orsay.


This romantic shot of the glass pyramid at the Louvre was taken by a friend.


I rarely take photos of food, but I recently got to eat lunch in an Ethiopian restaurant, a real treat for me.  This restaurant is La Reine Saba, 78 rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud in the 11th district.  Great food and the company was special--two of my friends from classes at Allliance Francaise.


No comments:

Post a Comment